Kink Empire………first mutha fuckin' gen!

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by Profile photo of Matt Matt 5 months, 1 week ago
  • Profile photo of MattMatt
    Participant
    @sycmatt

First generation Kink Empire frame landed this week. I was on the brink of sending money for a Revision B Empire but the guy was stalling for some reason. In the meantime I had been making enquiries about decals for the Revision B. I even scored some top tube decals from Bobby Parker in anticipation of sealing the deal on it. The TT decals were the only ones Bobby had so a few more enquiries later and I’m talking to a dude at Kink Bikes about decals. One thing leads to another and he told me that his friend had a 1st gen Empire. “STOP THE CLOCK!” I thought. It turns out the dude’s friend was willing to do a deal!

A deal was done. I paid a large portion of the Rev B funds as a deposit and promised the remaining balance for when I got paid, which the dude was happy to do. I then had to go back to my Rev B man and break the news to him that I wouldn’t be buying his frame. I felt bad but the guy knew that I had the funds and he was supposed to be getting back to me.

Anyway, I was told that the Empire was a little rough and the photo’s showed as much. Badly chipped, original powder coat, dropouts opened to 14mm and badly worn from a lot of peg work and a stuck seat post. A nice little restoration project! I told the dude that I would deal with the seat post but by the time that I got it, he’d had a go and failed miserably. By way of compensation, he put in a couple of Kink t-shirts and a bunch of stickers, which was fair enough. What I didn’t know though was that there was a massive hole in the seat stay that a chain (Kink no doubt) had rubbed in and a hole drilled through each side of the seat tube for a brake cable. The nice little project has grown arms and legs!!

It’s currently sat with a seat tube full of penetrating oil and hopefully, with the help of a bench vice, it’ll give up the seat post in a couple of days.

I think that it will be a keeper once I’ve finished the restoration of it. I’ll keep you posted about it’s progress.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.