Home Forums General Discussion Catchall Midschool catch-up lessons needed! How is it different from Oldschool and New?

3 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Matthew Sobke Matthew Sobke 5 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Profile photo of Andrew  MckayAndrew Mckay
    Participant
    @andrewnow

Hi everyone. How would you introduce Midschool to somebody who only knows oldschool and newschool? Someone who knows nothing the components, measurements, or anything at all.

I raced BMX and attempted to do freestyle in the 80s, then quit for nearly 30 years. Now I’m back into it and loving it. Why did I stay away so long? Ah well, life is too short for regrets. But, I have some catching up to do!

Getting up to speed with Newschool BMX was easy because it’s all around us and there’s plenty of info. Midschool is a different matter, though. To me, it’s this dark, mysterious period in history, seemingly lost to the ages.

I’ve got a Midschool frame to build up (97 GT Pro Freestyle Tour) and I’m looking forward to riding it. I’m currently riding a 2014 Haro Lineage and a 1987 Southern Cross freestyler (Aussie).

Cheers! 🙂

Profile photo of MidMarketAdminMidMarketAdmin
    Keymaster
    @midmktadmin

Watch Standard “Style Cats” for some of the early Midschool riding. Basically the Midschool ushered in stronger frames and parts (and heavier) than the crap 80s bikes that broke all the time as riding progressed. I’m sure others here could lend some insight as well.

Profile photo of Andrew  MckayAndrew Mckay
    Participant
    @andrewnow

Thanks, will YouTube Style Cats now.

So the first thing I noticed was my old school forks and stem wouldn’t work in this frame…….major bummer at first, but I see the logic. Bigger and stronger, let’s eliminate those weak points.
    It would be nice to have the whole thing broken down in a visual form, the evolution of the bikes, mechanical how-tos for newbies etc etc….if ever and whenever you have the time 🙂

Profile photo of Matthew SobkeMatthew Sobke
    Participant
    @chattymatty

Generally speaking, most people site the break between OS and MS about 93/94 with the introduction of threadless forks. As mentioned above, (flatland) frames got heavier and heavier in an attempt to bomb-proof the bikes, aluminium frames started to become more and more common for race bikes as MTB tech bled over into BMX. Ditto for v-brakes replacing canti’s by mid-decade on race bikes. Also very roughly speaking the transition to NS happens as frames move away from American BB’s to mid and Spanish BB’s and frames start to get lighter again as companies figured out how to make strong frames that didn’t weigh as much as a 1960’s Schwinn Varsity, usually marked about 2005 or so.

But basically, if you’re looking to buy a bike (a quality bike) and it has a threadless fork and American BB, 99% chance it’ll be classified as a ‘mid-school’ bike, with obvious exceptions for mini’s, outliers who were either early adopter/trendsetters and likewise exceptions for big companies which might have been slow to change.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.